To reduce the amount of manual work and run your restaurant smoothly, you can install and use many different kinds of equipment. You can register and set up your equipment when you launch the system the first time or in the process of using it.
If you have the equipment, you can hook it up right away and set up according to the specification.
If the equipment is not yet purchased, you can add devices to the system without specifying the models. But once delivered, hook it up, install drivers, specify models, and configure.
Here we provide some general guidelines on how to handle devices. For details, please refer to the articles that cover some particular pieces of equipment.
- Terminal is used to key in and process orders. It may be a simple three-piece set: a computer box, monitor, and keyboard. But there are other options like application-specific terminals that represent a touch screen with a CPU onboard or wireless tablets.
- Magnetic Card Reader is an authentication/authorization device. Use it to control your employees’ access and identify customers. Magnetic card readers can be a separate device or a part of the terminal.
- Receipt Printer is used to print preliminary bills (guest bills or guest checks) intended to inform customers about the amount they owe to your venue. In some countries, it can be used as the main printer to print non-fiscal payment receipts as well.
- Cash Register (Receipt Printer) also known as the FCR is a fiscal printer that can only be used as part of the POS. Some FCR models can be used to print non-fiscal receipts and guest bills.
- Cash Drawer is a steel box (till) with an electromagnetic or mechanical lock used to store banknotes received from customers. Usually, the drawer is closed, but when you need to put some money in or hand it out, it opens. In the case of an electromagnetic lock, the till opens up automatically when you post a receipt.
- Customer Screen is an optional POS device (can be used in fast-food restaurants for example) that shows order details, total amount, and the amount of change.
- Kitchen Printer is a printer installed in the kitchen or bar and is used to print cooking orders.
- Video Camera is used in video surveillance. Both analog and digital cameras are supported.
- Backup Printer is used when the main printer (guest bill printer or kitchen printer) is out of order.
- Weighing Scale is a digital bench-type scale used to sell weighed items.
List of Devices
The list of registered online devices and their current status are given in the Administration > Equipment Settings window. Devices can be grouped by computers or types.
To change device settings, double-click on the required item or select Set up in the shortcut menu. The Device Setup window will open where you can edit the required parameters.
Adding New Device
- Go to Administration > Equipment Settings.
- Click Add.
- Select the computer to which the device is connected and click Next.
- Select the Device Type and its model. Click Next.
- Enter the device name, make the necessary settings, and click Complete.
You can register a device even if you don’t have it yet. Usually, you do it when you set up the system in the first place. In this case, check the Do not select model item in step 4. Once delivered, the device can be hooked up and configured in iikoFront or iikoOffice.
If there is no connection to the device (e.g. as a result of a local network failure), try to resolve the issue and restore the connection by clicking Start in the shortcut menu.
Replacing A Device
If a piece of equipment is out of order, you need to replace it. For this, remove it from the list in iikoOffice. Select one or more items on the list and click Delete. You select several items at a time by holding Ctrl or Shift.